What You Should Know About Rental Property Insurance as a Landlord

Rental Property Insurance

If you’re managing a rental property, you know how essential it is to safeguard your investment. Renting out a property comes with its share of risks, from property damage to liability claims. That’s where rental property insurance steps in, providing you with peace of mind and financial security.

At Weed Ross, your local insurance agency, we understand the unique needs of landlords and help connect you with tailored insurance solutions to protect your rental properties. In this article, we’ll cover the key aspects of rental property insurance, including:

What Does Rental Property Insurance Cover?

Rental property insurance, also known as dwelling coverage, is designed to protect your property against various perils. At Weed Ross, our insurance carrier partners offer custom property and liability packages that cater specifically to tenant-occupied properties. Our comprehensive coverage includes protection against the following:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Windstorm and Hail
  • Vandalism
  • Theft

When discussing insurance options with our agents, you’ll have the choice between a variety of coverages that can be tailored to your specific rental property portfolio. The type of coverage you select will depend on your investments’ unique characteristics and your preferences.

What is Liability Insurance for Rental Properties?

As a landlord, it’s crucial to protect yourself from potential liability claims that may arise from incidents at your rental property. Our Premises Liability coverage provides essential protection against claims that could lead to financial losses. Some examples of incidents covered under this policy include:

  • Slip-and-fall accidents on your property
  • Injuries caused by a tenant’s pet
  • Medical issues resulting from a carbon monoxide leak

How Much Rental Property Insurance Coverage Do You Need?

Determining the right amount of coverage for your rental property depends on a range of factors. These factors include requirements from your lender, your exit strategy in the event of a total loss, and your risk tolerance. When you submit a proposal request, one of our licensed insurance professionals will work with you to assess your unique situation and recommend the appropriate coverage levels for your properties. Whether you own a single-family rental or a larger apartment building, we’ll tailor our recommendations to suit your needs.

What Deductible is Right for a Rental Property?

The property deductible is the amount you are responsible for paying out-of-pocket before your insurance carrier covers a claim. When choosing a deductible for your rental property, it’s essential to strike a balance between minimizing your financial burden in case of a claim and keeping your insurance rates manageable. At Weed Ross, we advise landlords to consider the minimum claim they would file before opting for a deductible. Our liability insurance, on the other hand, has no deductible, providing you with more straightforward coverage.

How Much Does Rental Property Insurance Cost?

The cost of rental property insurance can vary based on the coverage options you choose, the deductible amount, the property’s location, and the size of your portfolio, as well as a few other considerations. With Weed Ross, you can insure your tenant-occupied property at competitive rates, primarily because we work with one of the largest networks of insurance carriers in the nation.

Protecting your investment properties with comprehensive rental property insurance is a crucial step toward securing your financial future. Get in touch with a local Weed Ross agent and learn more about our rental property insurance solutions. Your investments deserve the best protection, and we’re here to provide it!

450 Olean Rd.
East Aurora, NY 14052


© 2024 Weed Ross. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy