Recreational Vehicle Insurance 101: What is Recreational Vehicle Insurance?

weed ross recreational vehicle insurance

So you’re one of those types, huh? An adrenaline junky. A go-getter. An early riser. An extreme sports guru. You like everything that has to do with the outdoors, and you grab it by the horns, or better yet, the throttle. We get it—here at Weed Ross, we’re a bit of thrill-seekers ourselves, so we understand the draw; the need for speed, the passion for thrashin’. But just because you’re out to let her rip, doesn’t mean you can’t also be protected.

While life insurance might also be an advisable course of action, we’re here to talk about—what we like to call—recreational vehicle insurance. And for clarity’s sake, no not RV insurance, though we cover that too. We’re referring to all-terrain vehicles (ATV), utility task vehicles (UTV) and motorcycles—you know, the fun stuff. The kind that goes vroom, not the kind with living rooms. But what types of insurance do these fun-making machines require? What types of risks and scenarios are worth covering? Below, the experts at Weed Ross cover all of the basics of ATV, UTV and motorcycle insurance—welcome to Recreational Vehicle Insurance 101, please take your seats.

In this article, we will cover:

What is ATV/UTV and Motorcycle Insurance?

ATV/UTV and motorcycle insurance, sometimes referred to as off-road vehicle insurance or recreational vehicle insurance, is not a part of traditional home insurance policies, nor does it fall under the car insurance category. These types of toys require their own form of coverage, often specific to the vehicles themselves, though some insurance providers have off-road vehicle packages to cover all of them under one policy. In theory, recreational vehicle insurance policies work exactly like auto insurance, but with a few minor differences.

What does ATV/UTV and Motorcycle Insurance Cover?

ATV/UTV and Motorcycle insurance provides essential coverages for several different types of scenarios and risks. These vehicles are commonly subject to theft, damage, injury, and more—at least more often than your average, everyday car. Extreme sports are unequivocally enjoyable, but the people that partake in these activities have a tendency to push the limits of the equipment, and are real daredevils when it comes to what would typically be considered “safe driving.” Recreational vehicle insurance covers a lot of the same things as auto insurance, but with more of an emphasis on safety, damage, and theft. Standard coverages in ATV/UTV and motorcycle insurance policies include:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage
  • Collision coverage
  • Property damage coverage
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Personal injury coverage
  • Uninsured motorist coverage

What Types of Vehicles Are Considered Recreational?

The term recreational vehicles covers a wide range of ATVs, motorcycles, and off-road vehicles. This exhaustive (no pun intended) list of equipment and machinery includes, but is not limited to: ATVs, UTVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, dune buggies, golf carts, dirt bikes, go-karts, and more.

What is Often Excluded in Recreational Vehicle Insurance Policies?

Sometimes, insurance carriers will exclude certain coverages from a given recreational vehicle insurance policy. For instance, many policies will cover recreational use of snowmobiles or dirt bikes, but will omit coverage for organized racing events. Additionally, if you were to get injured while you’re riding a UTV where you’re not supposed to, your policy would most likely not provide coverage or reimbursements. For these reasons, it is crucial to read the fine print. Also, talk with your expert insurance agents at Weed Ross—we prioritize transparency and serve as the middle men between carrier and customer. 

How Much Does ATV/UTV and Motorcycle Insurance Cost?

The cost of ATV/UTV and Motorcycle insurance depends greatly on the type of vehicle you’re looking to insure, as well as a few other key factors. For example, the state in which you live, the type of activity you use it for, your age, your driving history, and other bits of information will affect your monthly premium. For the most part, recreational vehicle insurance policies average around $200 per year, but this is just a rough estimate. Contact your favorite local insurance folks at Weed Ross, and we can tell you all about it, crunch the numbers, and get you some exact figures in a jiffy.

Is Recreational Vehicle Insurance a Requirement?

Most states do, in fact, require recreational vehicle insurance, especially motorcycle insurance. In New York, for example, all motorcycles and snowmobiles must be properly insured. ATVs, on the other hand, only require insurance if you plan on driving them on any form of public property. However, with several nuances, it’s easiest to simply ask the insurance experts at Weed Ross; we’re here and happy to help.

Still have questions on recreational vehicle insurance? Looking to insure a motorcycle, ATV, UTV, or snowmobile? Give Weed Ross a call, shoot us a message, or swing on over to our office—just make sure you drive safely!

450 Olean Rd.
East Aurora, NY 14052


© 2024 Weed Ross. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy